Genestra Active Folate 1000 - 90 Veg Capsules
Genestra Active Folate 1000 - 90 Veg Capsules:
Biologically active folate rich formula.
• Helps to reduce the risk of neural tube defects (NTD) when taken daily prior to becoming pregnant and during early pregnancy
• Helps to prevent folate deficiency
• Helps the body to metabolize proteins and form red blood cells
• Provides 1000 mcg of folate per day from Metafolin®
Active Folate 1000 provides 1000 mcg of folate per day from Metafolin® – a pure, physiologically active and bioavailable form of the folate found naturally in foods.1 Folate is primarily involved in cell division and is required for the synthesis of nucleotides and red blood cells.2 Folate requirements increase during pregnancy as a result of the rise in cell division and metabolism necessary for healthy placental and fetal development.3 Unfortunately, approximately 20 percent of Canadian women of childbearing age do not meet the recommended amount of folate for pregnancy.3 Supplementation has been shown to be the most effective method for raising folate status, yielding superior results to dietary intake.3 Daily supplementation with 400 mcg of folic acid during the first trimester helps to decrease the development of NTD by approximately 50%; however, 800 mcg daily may help reduce the risk by nearly 70%.4
|Medicinal Ingredients Per 1 Veg Capsule|
|Folate (calcium L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate,Metafolin®*||1000 mcg|
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Cellulose, hypromellose.
1. EMD Millipore Corporation. (2015). Key benefits of Metafolin®. Retrieved from: < http://www.emdmillipore.com/CA/en/products/small-molecule-pharmaceuticals/bulk-api/folates/metafolin/key-benefits/83Ob.qB.MZEAAAFNTWxItHt_,nav;pgid=xptMKfaY5dZSRpEoNdlgbI720000gbiXydol;sid=gfuholvDBqiwog3R_BewKrWWOH1j_WbZTasT6mnJ-ryWlNOtWTmnxSCTg2LbQCOazROPu4i1QsZYClD5bkkFV_2r41olq7fsuuV2Fu79lPoMOFG4WiIXG6Tb6vCdRPQZFUsYJJmcQsZYCpj-eFOPu4i1>.
2. Crider, KS, Yang, TP, Berry, RJ, Bailey, LB. Folate and DNA Methylation: A Review of Molecular Mechanisms and the Evidence for Folate’s Role. Adv. Nutr. 2012; 3: 21–38.
3. Lamers, Y. Folate recommendations for pregnancy, lactation, and infancy. Ann Nutr Metab. 2011; 59(1): 32-7.
4. Osterhues, A, Ali, NS, Michels, KB. The Role of Folic Acid Fortiﬁcation in Neural Tube Defects: A Review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2013; 53: 1180–1190.